Neighbours carried an aged girl down 15 flights of stairs to security on Thursday night after an house of their West Finish Vancouver constructing caught hearth.
Firefighters had been referred to as to the constructing at Comox and Thurlow streets at about 6:15 p.m. PT after smoke and flames started billowing out of an house on the 14th ground, in keeping with assistant hearth chief Trevor Connelly.
Constructing resident Marieke Leliveld heard the fireplace alarm and was on her means out by the steps when she observed an aged neighbour sitting on a chair exterior one of many suites, unable to make it down on her personal.
Leliveld advised CBC Information that she and two younger males determined to hold her.
“I am a little bit emotional about it nonetheless as a result of we did not know nearly if we had been going to make it,” Leliveld mentioned.
“We noticed numerous smoke come out of the constructing.”
She mentioned the journey downstairs felt prefer it took an hour. Everybody made it safely to the bottom.
Relations advised reporters on the scene that the girl hadn’t left her house in three years.
Connelly mentioned the girl was certainly one of two residents who needed to be helped out of the constructing.
No one was dwelling within the house that caught hearth and nobody within the constructing was injured, firefighters say.
The flames had simply began to penetrate the fifteenth ground and the standpipe system was failing when firefighters extinguished the fireplace, in keeping with Connelly. He mentioned it was unclear if there have been working smoke detectors within the constructing.
Hearth investigators have but to find out what precipitated the fireplace.